By Kirsten Massebeau
The pilot whales driven into the cove on September 28, 2012 in Taiji Japan panicked as they were netted off in the death cove. As seen above dolphins rushed onto rocks and on the beaches and with good reason. Save Japan Dolphins Taiji Monitor reacted to the inhumane treatment of these whales with this response:
“today was so sad and too panic for me…..I dont want see anymore like this…..too hard for me…. (Source)
This whale fought for life as noted by Sea Shepherds Cove Guardians,
“A WILL TO SURVIVE….This lone pilot whale tried everything to escape man’s wrath…but eventually gave up and remains captive in the killing cove”. — atTaiji, Japan.(Source)
While activists predicted the hunters would postpone the slaughter taking Saturday off the hunters had other plans as noted by the Sea Shepherds Cove Monitors via Twitter September 29, 2012
- Taiji: there is activity at Fishermans Union and tarps are in place. There will be a slaughter today.
- Taiji: pod being driven into shallow killing cove by 3 skiffs. 6:05am
- Taiji: murder is taking place in the cove right now. At least 20 coast guard And police standby.
- Taiji: one pilot whale lingers outside nets. Appears to be juvenile not wanting to leave family.
- Taiji: killers driving part of pod back out of killing cove. Will slaughter only half of pod.
- Taiji: transfers of dead bodies being dragged out of cove just past remaining pod.
- Taiji: outside Taiji butcherhouse tarps are draped and police are monitoring. Taiji attempts to hide bloodshed.
- Taiji: Butchers outside with blood covered boots and gloves. Meat auction may be delayed until tomorrow.
- Taiji: another transfer of whale bodies arriving at butcherhouse now.
- Taiji: killing boat returning to harbor. Pod remains in cove. Fate unknown at this time.
- Taiji: The cove is bright red and remaining pops still alive and swimming in blood filled water
- Taiji: sixth transfer of pilot whale bodies heading to harbor. The smell of fresh pilot whale meat is overwhelming.
- Taiji: Killers are taking lunch break now, feasting on pilot whale meat. Pod still in cove. Typhoon expected tonite.
- Taiji: 2 killing boats and 3 skiffs heading to cove now. Remaining pilot whale Pod will be driven back to sea. 11:47
- Taiji: a total of 4 killing boats and 3 skiffs now at cove removing net. This pod will be driven back out sea.
- Taiji: pod is exhausted and traumatized as they are being herded out of the cove. Slowly swimming.
A youngster, a juvenile looks back at the bloody waters where his family was just slaughtered most likely wondering why? An older whale fights hard but gives up in exhaustion. Dolphin sadness and suffering seems never-ending in Taiji. The battle to spread awareness about the plight of dolphins forced into the blood cove continues. The 2009 Academy Award winning documentary, “The Cove” brought new awareness to the dolphin capture and slaughter in Taiji, Japan. Today Cove Monitors with Save Japan Dolphins and Cove Guardians with Sea Shepherds Conservation Society are standing watch and documenting the terrible abuses, and treatment of dolphins in this coastal town. Supported by the captive industry hunters fight to hide their cruel actions but dolphin activists will not be silenced, and will not be stopped. Brave volunteers stand by from September to March watching as pod after pod of sentient beings are brutally killed by what seem to be men who have no compassion. Science has acknowledged dolphin sensitivity and intelligence. It is time for Taiji listen, and stop. Let’s end it today!
Let CNN know you have a news story they should be reporting on here
Follow and support your Save Japan Dolphins Cove Monitors on Facebook and on Twitter.
Follow and support you Sea Shepherds Cove Guardians on Facebook and Twitter
Ways for taking action click here!
Join Champions for Cetaceans on Facebook for cetacean issues and news daily.